nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Curculio / Surround adhesion question

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Curculio / Surround adhesion question
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 18:40:25 -0400

Del, its funny you would ask that because I asked the same thing a few weeks ago on the Gardenweb Fruit Forum:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0508075527499.html

I subsequently added a touch of soap and got a bit better luck - still only spots on the plums, but something at least.

I have been using Surround on my apples, peaches, apricots, and plums this year for control of curculio and for moths. I started spraying a bit too late but I ended up losing very few complete apple clusters to curculio. I do have quite a few apples with small curc "bites" which I would have preferred to avoid but at least they did not ruin it all. I did less well on the plums, partly I think due to the lack of coverage on the fruit (also again I started the regimen too late). I probably lost 3/4 of the plums, but on the plus side did not need to thin what started as a significant overset. I lost very few peaches; only the nectarines had damage. Overall I am reasonably happy with how it worked. I concentrated the spray on and around the fruit itself to try to save on product (and on the number of refills of my backpack sprayer). Maybe I should have covered a greater portion of the tree to add to the general annoyance factor for the curc.

I have now been adding spinosad try to improve the effectiveness of Surround against moths. So far it seems to be working well on the early generations, but the story is not over yet. I wonder if the powder of the Surround helps to distribute the spinosad onto the moths by covering them with powdered spinosad. It certainly works on me as I brush past my trees!

Scott