nafex - Re: [NAFEX] dwarf almonds

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] dwarf almonds
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 23:35:48 -0500

Lon you're better than google.  That sounds right.  Hard to picture 300 nuts on these bushes, they're tiny.

~mIEKAL

On Jun 6, 2007, at 11:10 PM, Lon J. Rombough wrote:

Sounds like Prunus tenella.  Tom Plocher in Hugo, MN said he had some bushes of that species that produced 300 nuts per bush after -40 F.  The species is sold as an ornamental by several nurseries.  They are bitter, so the nuts have to be cooked to be safely edible.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, my book, The Grape Grower, at http://www.bunchgrapes.com  Winner of the Garden Writers Association "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
For even more grape lessons, go to  http://www.grapeschool.com
For growing supplies and more;  http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com