nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are GM crops killing honeybees?

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are GM crops killing honeybees?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:48:52 -0500

My thanks to Bill for mentioning the problem of the pro and anti GM emotions. In my case, I happen to have read the story of they guy who was really big in the GM world, and developed the potatoes with the snowdrop lectin in them. They safety tested them by feeding rats or mice on 3 different diets: ordinary potatoes, ordinary potatoes with the lectin extracted from snowdrops, and the new GM potatoes that made their own snowdrop lectin. The first two groups did fine, as expected. The third group had such terrible health problems, including if I remember correctly, malformations, that he decided that in artificial adding genes from one species to another, that one and one do not necessarily add up to two. He called for more careful testing and some foot dragging till we know more. He was ridiculed and blackballed by the rest of the GM development and promotion world and has lost a lot of income and prestige for sticking to his guns. Who then would you choose to believe on this subject? Donna

P.S. While we are on the subject of people who are ruined for saying bad things about big business, how much do you use your microwave? There is another big scandal over some studies done in Switzerland that were suppressed.