nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are GM Crops Killing Honeybees?

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are GM Crops Killing Honeybees?
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:54:12 -0500

Hmmm... that article says that 60% of the west coast bees and 70% of the east coast bees are gone.
My son up in western Washington says the bees are mostly gone there. Where we live, there are lots of woods, hayfields, pastures, rural lawns that don't get sprayed much. There will be corn planted soon, but I don't think it gets sprayed all that much. We have LOTS of bees working our winter blooming honeysuckle, our pears, plums, peaches and purple dead nettles. We don't keep bees, but I can say that there are mostly black ones probably from wild hives, and belted ones probably mostly from tame hives. I wish now I'd looked for golden ones, haven't seen many of those since the mite trouble began. There were hardly any bees at all for the first few years we owned our property, but the population has come up a lot the last few years. The black wild ones were about the only ones we ever saw when the mites were so bad, but we see a lot more belted bees these last few years. Our place has always been wildly popular with honeybees in early spring as we have a lot of things blooming then, later on we don't tend to see nearly as many. I'd say that there are at least close to as many bees as we have ever seen on our place.
On the GM corn front, I have asked at the Farmer's Coop every couple of weeks whether the whole corn they had for sale was GM or not. Nearly every time, with a little thought, one of the clerks would tell me it either definitely was not GM because he knew what the farmer had planted, or that he'd seen the cockleburs that showed it wasn't GM, or he had a pretty good idea that the farmer in question wouldn't grow the stuff. Only maybe twice has he told me it was or probably was GM. I've been told that the farmer who plants corn nearest us has his planting and harvest times down to such an art that he'll never change what he plants. I was buying corn for our ducks, and avoiding the GM stuff as much as possible. So that would go with the GM corn theory.
There is another theory, that some new pesticides, including a group called " Neonicotinoids" may be behind the bee disappearances. These pesticides are used to make termites forget their way back to their nest, and may be doing the same thing to the bees. (Have you heard about the Alzheimers epidemic?) Again, we probably don't have all that many pesticides used in our area, and again, Tennesseans are mostly still of the opinion that Sevin dust is one of the four food groups, so I don't think they are going to be all that quick to change pesticides. Herbicides yes, but not necessarily insecticides.
Anyone else have any observations on their local bees? I am curious. Donna