nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are GM Crops Killing Honeybees?

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are GM Crops Killing Honeybees?
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 07:18:43 -0700

On Mar 28, 2007, at 8:54 PM, Donna &/or Kieran wrote:

Hmmm... that article says that 60% of the west coast bees and 70% of the
east coast bees are gone.

Anyone else have any observations on their local bees? I am curious.
Donna

I hardly see honeybees anymore. I saw one this weekend and it felt like a big event. Some interesting research on bees is being done by Dr. Gordon Frankie at UC Berkeley. They have an Urban Bee Garden that our local chapter of CRFG was able to visit. They also have what I feel is one of the best-designed websites of any UCB department.

http://nature.berkeley.edu/urbanbeegardens/

His interest is very much in our native bees. While the disappearance of honey bees definitely worries me and I hope science is able to find out the causes and stop them, I've heard from some that our native bees are actually better pollinators.

Spidra Webster
http://www.myspace.com/meganlynch

Berkeley, CA