nafex - [NAFEX] Was: honeylocust; Now: root invasion in septic systems

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Was: honeylocust; Now: root invasion in septic systems
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:44:18 -0500

At 08:53 AM 6/12/2006, you wrote:
I'd be careful with where honey-locust is planted, as it's running roots go way past the drip line. I don't know if say, shagbark hickory has horizontally distant-exploratory roots but I'd think we'd be happier with it, or something else.
I doubt that the shagbark would have that sort of root system - but it'll grow a lot slower than the weedy Gleditsia.

There will likely be in future a considerable negative financial impace from its exploratory roots getting all through the septic field.
You really don't have to worry about root invasion - even with the perennially problematic willows & maples, if you'll treat your septic system with CuSO4 once or twice a year.
http://www.eco-nomic.com/pix/Tree%20Root%20Control.pdf
My friend Guy Sternberg, who owns Starhill Forest Arboretum, has had his septic leach field running through a heavily-wooded area for 20+ years, with no problems associated with root invasion - but he flushes a couple of pounds of CuSO4 down the toilet at least a couple of times

Here's a nice publication from VA Tech Extension on planting on your septic leach field:
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-617/426-617.html

Lucky