nafex - Re: [NAFEX] where honey-locust is planted

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] where honey-locust is planted
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:23:57 -0400

Indeed Charlie, one has to be careful about the planting location of a honey locust tree. I would like to share my own experience on this subject.
Fifteen years ago, I bought 5 small honey locusts. Being in zone 3-4, I expected to loose most of those trees since honey locust does not usually grow in my climate zone. But sometimes, one exceptional specimen will proove to be more hardy and will survive.  It is quite a reward when this happen.

One honey locust did survive and stayed small for many years which was fine, planted as it was in prime location in the middle of a garden facing south on a sandy hill. (Water retention is a constant issue. I use all kinds of mulch and a bit of shade was useful for lettuce and cool loving plants).
It certainly is quite beautiful with its lacy fern-like leaves. I had seen those trees in Kingston (Ontario) towering over three-story houses on the harbour front, but figured that it would stay small in my area.
What my garden honey locust was actually doing while looking so tame, unknow to me for many years, was just getting started.
Two years ago, it suddenly doubled-up in size and little honey locusts started popping up here and there as far as 20 feet from the mother tree. Then I discovered an extensive root system networking in all directions. It is far more invasive than anything I have struggled with in the past, like pin cherries that can be quite persistent.
Last Fall, I did move some small honey locusts to other locations on the property, gave some to friends then started simply destroying them.
Last Spring, we had considered removing it but sentimentality had prevailed.
This Spring it had doubled in size again, at least, and we realized that the more we hesitated the more difficult it was going to be.

It was indeed very difficult to destroy... and all roots could not be remove, so I expect the struggle is not over.
The roots are long and very strong, the wood is very hard and quite nice, for building different garden supports.
It was kind of sad to see it go....
It is an exceptionnally hardy tree and it has been propagated in different locations, where it is OK to invade all it can.

(I also have Black Locust (pseudoaccacia) and they grow differently, in this climate. They grow very fast to flowering stage for a year or two (10 feet more or less) then die. They reseed in the immediate area.)

The growing conditions for apple trees is very good for us this year.

Hélène, north of Ottawa