nafex - Re: [NAFEX] where honey-locust is planted

  • From: "kieran or donna" <redherring@tnaccess.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] where honey-locust is planted
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 20:44:36 -0500

We had 2 honey locust trees turn up in our garden, probably something to do with seeds sneaking in with other stuff from Hector's place, as there are no honey locusts in our general area, plus these trees are thornless.  That's a real serious clue that they aren't just any old run of the mill seedlings.  Anyway, I have read that if we wanted more of the same, we could just shovel prune some of the roots and suckers would appear.  As one tree is in the edge of the garden, what you are saying about the roots spreading doesn't bode well.  We both like the tree, maybe it's time to create some clones to plant elsewhere....   Donna