nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Aftercare on persimmon grafts.

  • From: "Lee Sharp" <leesharp@cableone.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Aftercare on persimmon grafts.
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 07:27:37 -0500

Would like to add one more point in addition to the good advice posted by Lucky concerning aftercare of persimmon grafting/budding. Once new growth is about 9 to 12 inches support is needed to keep it from blowing out. I usually place a bamboo or something similar tied to the stock or driven into the ground that will extend about 3 feet above the stock so the new growth can be tied to it as it grows with at least three ties about 12 inches apart. I do not nail the supporting material to the stock because this would cause unnecessary damage and encourage entry by borers. The large leaves of persimmons "pick up "a lot of wind and the scions will blow out very easy if not supported.
Lee