nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Scion soaking

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Scion soaking
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 08:51:36 -0400

On Thu, 5 May 2005 08:41:02 EDT, <Jwlehman@aol.com> wrote:

A few scions I placed in a glass of water while preparing the rootstock,
mostly I
just worked quick so the scion wouldn't dry out. I grafted about 10 of each
fruit type, mostly using a cleft graft, whip-and-tongue on a few.

Hi,

Water quality would also be important. Is it tap water with floride and chlorine? Is it hard water loaded with calcium? Is it soft water? Is it softened water (salt residue)

Take baked beans for example... If you try to make baked beans with hard water, loaded with calcium the beans will never hydrate properly. The calcium blocks pores, not allowing water to enter the beans.

We have some of the hardest water in Ontario, and it can be a real problem. Water soluables do not work well and sprayers plug. Cannot even wash a car with it, as it leaves a white film.

Just things to think about.

Later,
Tom