nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Any opinions/ Scion soaking

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Any opinions/ Scion soaking
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 21:16:40 -0400

On May 5, 2005, at 9:01 PM, tanis grif wrote:

Pure opinion:
. . .I don't think scions CAN dry out enough during the grafting process to matter any.
(But, note I'm in reliably humid WI.) Keep scions in a cooler while you work, prep
all labels first, do as much note-taking as you can without holding scions exposed,
prep the rootstock first, take only one scion out of the cooler at a time.

I bet you are right. The other precaution I would take is to try to keep the scions out of direct sunlight. Partly to avoid drying out, and partly because the strong light might directly kill some of the delicate cambium cells.

Ginda