nafex - RE:[NAFEX] Any opinions on my grafting problem?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE:[NAFEX] Any opinions on my grafting problem?
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 10:46:37 -0500

At 10:33 AM 5/4/2005, you wrote:
So many ways to do grafting. I use grafting/budding rubber and Parafilm
also, but I do my layers in the opposite order.

I used to do 'em that way, too, but found that *I* don't dislodge things as badly with the Parafilm as I do when torquing the rubbers on there, so I usually do the Parafilm first, anymore.

I don't do many cleft grafts, other than on things like hawthorn - I can never get the bark to 'slip', so bark grafts don't work well, and the wood is so hard that I have a difficult time doing whip & tongue grafts with them. Mulberry cleft grafts nicely, but I still prefer bark grafting.

There are probably as many ways to graft as there are people grafting.
You betcha. We all pick what seems to work best in our own hands.

Lucky