nafex - Re: Re: [NAFEX] Any opinions on my grafting problem?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Re: [NAFEX] Any opinions on my grafting problem?
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 08:36:15 -0500

At 06:22 AM 5/4/2005, you wrote:
What do you use to wrap your grafts of different sizes
with?

Rob,
For almost everything, I wrap with Parafilm -covering the entire graft union and scion- then I overwrap with a grafting/budding rubber.
Parafilm works very nicely with the 3 or 4 flap 'banana' grafts, as it holds all the pieces(3 or 4 flaps of bark and the scion) in place pretty nicely, without them shifting, which was frequently a problem when I tried to torque a grafting rubber on without something holding the pieces in place.

The rubbers usually degrade and begin falling off/apart within 2-3 weeks, but with the Parafilm underwrap, the scion and callusing graft union are still protected, to some degree, from dessication, even though the rubber is no longer applying pressure to hold the pieces together.

Lucky