nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Any opinions/ Scion soaking

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Any opinions/ Scion soaking
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 18:01:35 -0700 (PDT)

Pure opinion:

If I HAD TO soak scions, I'd find some distilled water. But if scionwood is
stored
properly, it doesn't dry out enough to need soaking. (Store in one plastic
bag,
which is sealed in another bag which contains a little water; inspect
frequently and
add drops of water as needed.)

If I had to work with descicated scions, I'd do them last after I'd finished
with
the more promising scions. If I was out of rootstocks, tape, time, or
ambition, I'd
discard the dry scions.

I don't think scions CAN dry out enough during the grafting process to matter
any.
(But, note I'm in reliably humid WI.) Keep scions in a cooler while you
work, prep
all labels first, do as much note-taking as you can without holding scions
exposed,
prep the rootstock first, take only one scion out of the cooler at a time.