nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Peach Question

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat@containerseeds.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Peach Question
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 07:48:54 -0500

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:10:51 -0600, you wrote:

> Can't you northerners grow plums, nice juicy sweet plums, without worrying
> about the buds freezing in the winter? I personally am about ready to let
> my showy-blossom seedling peaches live out their natural lives looking
> pretty in the spring, and graft their seedlings to plums. And plums make
> the VERY BEST wine. Donna

I don't know if plums will grow at our location in
Pennsylvania's northern Appalachians (altitude about 1700').
I don't think peaches will work for us: frost will get the
blossoms most of the time.

We've lived here four years so far: in two of them, the
last killing frost was after June 15! No lilac blossoms
those years either: in fact, I've only had lilacs one year
out of the four we've lived here. Frost is not unknown
(although thankfully rare) even in July and August.

The coldest temperature we have seen here is -26 F (-32 C)
and we have had that temperature for two of the four years
we've been here. -20 F is not uncommon, we've had
temperatures that low or lower every winter that we have
lived here.

Can I grow plums here? Anyone?

Thanks.
Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and
edible flower seeds for successful container growing.