nafex - [NAFEX] Peach Question

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Peach Question
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 21:59:31 EST

In a message dated 2/9/2005 11:21:35 AM US Eastern Standard Time, lonrom@hevanet.com writes:

Later I found out that peach flower buds aren't as hardy as the leaf buds, which was why the tree never fruited - the flower buds never made it, even though
the tree itself survived.

I believe you will find this is true for the vast majority of Prunus. The flower buds on Malus, Pyrus and persimmon, for example are microscopically located in the terminal buds while Prunus flower buds are well developed and extreme freezing will rupture the cells killing the flower. Last year at -20F all my peach flowers were killed, every flower on 4 trees.

I did have Reliance at one time and it was more hardy. I recommend that one for excellent size, although tends to over bear, and flavor. Wonderful peach.

Jerry