nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Peach Question

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Peach Question
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:01:29 -0600

Hello all,

I learned that a super-hardy, good-tasting peach was (relatively
recently) developed in the Baltic States and is currently being sold in
Finland. It goes under the name of 'Maira.' Does anyone know it it is
available in the U.S.? And, if so, do you know who sells it?

I have made contact with a grower in Finland who is growing Maira, and he has doubts that it would be at all hardy to -40F, as it wasn't bred for those types of temperatures. Southern Finland rarely gets below -25F. 'Super-hardy' may be a relative term.

I don't believe it is available in North America as of yet.

Dean Kreutzer
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
www.overthehillorchards.ca
USDA zone 3