nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Peach Question

  • From: Todd Ravitch <travitch@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Peach Question
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 06:25:56 -0800 (PST)

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:31:59 -0600
From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
Subject: [NAFEX] Peach Question
To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>

I learned that a super-hardy, good-tasting peach
was (relatively
recently) developed in the Baltic States and is
currently being sold in
Finland. It goes under the name of 'Maira.' Does
anyone know it it is
available in the U.S.? And, if so, do you know who
sells it?

Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, MN

I remember reading a NAFEX article a year or two ago
about a gentleman, cabinet maker by trade, who lives
out White Bear Lake way who has been working on
growing fresh peaches in Minnesota. He may be a
little warmer than you Jim. But, hopefully he will
read this and speak up. If not let me know, off-line,
and I will do some digging to get you a contact for
him. He started with the Iowa test peaches and used
seeds for hardier peach trees. Last I heard was he
was a milder winter away from a fresh market crop.
Might be worth looking into.

Todd Ravitch
Tulsa, OK (Orchardless after my recent divorce - for
the time being that is and I mean orchardless not divorced)