nafex - [NAFEX] Ultra Hardy European Plums

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <BNikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Ultra Hardy European Plums
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 20:48:38 -0800

Ray wrote :As far as hardy plums I thought there are some European plums that are cold hardy to -40F.  Perhaps some one further north could expound on that.  Ray  Zone 4-5 On the shore of Lake Michigan

Well, I've tested all kinds of European plums up here in Edmonton, zone 3.  The two very hardiest are Mount Royal and Yakima, at lest of the ones I've tested.  But both of these still fall short, and generally die after a year or two for me.  I'd say they can take short periods of -35F if they are fully dormant.  But at -40F they are toast, as are 98% of all apple varieties, and 100% of all peaches and sweet cherries.  But if it were easy, I wouldn't be trying....

Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton