nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Peach Question

  • From: Bernie Nikolai <BNikolai@shaw.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Peach Question
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 19:20:57 -0800

Jim, its a very common misconception that things grown in Finland or Sweden
are hardy. This is simply not the case, as I found out when inquiring about
their new apple strains a few years ago. As an example, the main fruit
breeding station in Finland is in Piikkio, which is on the extreme southwest
part of the country. It would be considered zone 6 by North American
standards, as in most winters the very coldest is -20C or about -6F. At the
very coldest in a test winter they would be zone 5. They don't get a lot of
heat in the summer, however. Further inland in Sweden and Finland the
temperatures do drop to -30F to -40F in winter. However, unlike North
America, summer temperatures in these areas are very cool with average highs
during the day of only 55F to 60F, so the cool summers don't allow apples to
grow in any quantities.
Bernie Nikolai
Edmonton, Alberta
zone 3/2