nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pine nuts and Paw-Paw seeds

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pine nuts and Paw-Paw seeds
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:25:11 -0800

I should have done more research yesterday before I posted my message. The
Stone Pine I grow is Italian Stone Pine (Pinus pinea). I purchased the seed
from JL Hudson, which now has a catalog on-line. It is rated as growing at
a moderate rate and hardy in zone 7. It starts producing nuts after 15
years. The Swiss Stone Pine is much different. It is rated as growing at a
slow rate and hardy in zone 4. It starts producing nuts after 30 years.
This information is based on facts from the PFAF database
http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html
and from my own experience. The PFAF database says both of these pinenut
species produce more nuts if two or more trees are available to cross
pollinate. If you live in zone 7 or warmer, I would recommend Italian Stone
Pine for nut production since it will save you an additional 15 years wait
for the first nut crop.
-Mark Lee, Seattle