nafex - [NAFEX] Re Todd Ravitch's re-blooming trees

  • From: Todd Ravitch <travitch@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Re Todd Ravitch's re-blooming trees
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:50:33 -0800 (PST)

Here goes again about the reblooming. I ran across a
comment in a 1998 Pomona about this happening to
someone else and attributing it to drought. Rondi
stated she has observed this behavior on shrubs due to
watering after drought stress. This may be the case
as we get really dry in the summer (3 months no rain).
Though, I hand water about every week and the trees
have 6" of mulch and when I water I hit them with
quite a bit but maybe not. Interestingly the only
trees that rebloomed here where Pome fruit. I
actually missed a Pear Bloom (rebloom) and found a
young Bartlett while the leaves were falling. I am
100% sure it was not left over from the spring bloom.
All fruit were removed this spring (trees are young).

Has anyone had a stone fruit tree rebloom? I know Jim
F. said his berry bushes rebloomed as well. I didn't
experience this.

I guess the question I ask is could fruits be forced
to rebloom or just bloom where they never receive
adequate chilling hours. And if trees require
chilling hours to bloom and set fruit how did these
bloom again without and set a fruit.

Regards,
Todd Ravitch
NE Oklahoma USDA Zone 6B