nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pine nuts and Paw-Paw seeds

  • From: "David Consolvo" <fruitopia@nexet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pine nuts and Paw-Paw seeds
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:38:27 -0500

I planted a Swiss pine about seven years ago and two Korean pines about five
years ago, happy to wait the 20 years I'd heard it takes for them to start
producing. I figured the longer the wait the more satisfying the nuts.

But it seems I'll have even longer to wait, as the Swiss pine is only a
spindly six feet tall and the Korean pines, though very full and health
looking, are only about three feet tall. A friend's pine nut tree is 15-20
years old and is about the same size. I'd heard they need the right
mycorhiz....fungus in the soil to grow well, and that white pines have it, so
I'd dug up soil around two different white pine patches and spread around my
pine nut trees. Perhaps that's why mine have soared so fast at half a foot a
year.

Later I tried planting seeds of pine nuts, but got no germination. I was
surprised to see how hard the shell is for such small nuts. I make lots of
pesto from scratch with store-bought pine nuts, which is time consuming
enough, but if I had to crack open each shell it would take all day!

David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia
Zone 7