nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pine nuts and Paw-Paw seeds

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pine nuts and Paw-Paw seeds
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:51:24 -0700

> From: "Kathy Johnson" <rrabbits@si4u.net>
> Well, we aren't growing the trees but we live near Trinity National Forest
> and my husband commutes through there to work every day. On his way, there
> are some pines with gigantic cones and whenever some have dropped to one of
> the pullout areas he gathers them and we use the pine-nuts.

The sugar pine was a prized food source before EuroAmericans arrived acc. to
Glenn Farris in "The Quest for Pinenuts" in *Before the Wilderness* ed. by
Blackburn and Anderson. The men would climb the trees to pick cones. And
they enjoyed high status (while they lived- those sugar pines are
TAAALLLLLLL!)

-Rick

make mine pinyones from the SW! Little trees!