nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pine nuts and Paw-Paw seeds

  • From: "Mark Lee" <markl@nytec.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pine nuts and Paw-Paw seeds
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:30:48 -0800

David,
I am located near Seattle at about 200 feet elevation about 1 mile from
Puget Sound. Typical winter days are 30'F to 50'F and wet. Typical summer
days are 60'F to 80'F and dry. Record temps in my lifetime are 5'F and
100'F.

I have 2 Swiss Stone Pines growing with branches growing together. In late
Spring, yellow clouds of pollen can be shaken from the branches. Maybe they
pollinate each other, I don't know the requirements for that.

Swiss Stone Pine cones are very dense, like chunks of wood or rocks. I let
them dry, then use a sledgehammer to break them open. Once they are opened
a little, it is easy to tear the rest of the cone apart by hand. If I had a
whole bunch of these, I don't know how I would process them. For now, I
make an adventure of nibbling these nuts with my kids. I have heard that
roasting the whole cones will cause them to open.

-Mark Lee, Seattle