nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Interstem Apples

  • From: Brian Pearson <bjpearson@centurytel.net>
  • To: machelp@attglobal.net, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Interstem Apples
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 07:20:20 -0500

>Has anyone tried Budgovski 118 and an M9 interstem yet?
>
>Charlie Paradise
>Massachusetts / zone 5

Not B118, but P22 on M111. For many years, there were no observable
problems other than leaning in some trees, but now nearly every plant
suckers like crazy. To make things worse, I have to keep them all
('Stearns', 'Tumanga', 'Melrose', 'Melrouge', 'Nickajack', 'Detroit Red',
'Orleans', 'Margil', 'Worcester Permain'; a supposed 'Bishop's Thumb'; etc.
& etc.) caged because of my #1 problem: deer. That really complicates
controlling the suckers. Apples that are on M7 have NEVER suckered or
leaned here in my sandy loam with broken limestone beginning 16"-to-22"
down, and I can permanently remove cages once the trees have grown beyond
deer reach.
A pear observation: here at least, pears are much less susceptible to
insects and disease than apples. I haven't ever sprayed any of my several
orientals or Europeans, and the fruit are really nice (except for
'Gourmet', which usually are misshapen--I think due to incomplete
pollination. They do taste good though: flavorful, sweet, juicy, and
crisp).
Rain last evening of over an inch, after 2 weeks without. More
forecast for today.

Cheers, Brian Pearson (ne WI, Z4)