nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Interstem Apples

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Interstem Apples
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 09:27:22 -0500

Ginda,
The bulk of my apples, or at least those I planted the first two or three years, as I was getting the orchard established, are on a combo M111/M9 rootstock. Most are in the vicinity of 6-7 yrs old now, and most are around 10 ft tall - but I will confess, I've not pruned any in the past 3 years - just can't get around to it - too many other things demanding my time.

My orchard is in a fairly exposed site, and catches a bit of wind. Part of my reason for selecting the combo was the reputation M111 had for superior anchorage. I've been pretty disappointed in performance from that standpoint - there are quite a few of the trees that are leaning - and very badly - some at 45 degrees or more; a couple, I'm probably going to just remove, as I don't think I can ever get 'em straightened up, and it's really hard mowing around/under them.

Suckers - yep, they sucker - maybe not as prolifically as those on M7, but several of them more so than others in the orchard. I'm presuming, from Ed's previous discussions, that it's probably the M111 understock that's throwing suckers, but I can't swear that that's the case. I have pulled/dug the occasional sucker and transplanted to nursery beds for use as rootstocks.

Fruiting - thus far, the apples I've got on M7 have been more productive than those on the combo rootstock - and better anchored, as well.

So...at least in my spot, I've decided that M7 is a better choice, and if I ever buy rootstocks again, that's the way I'll be going. But, for the most part, I'm abandoning apples, other than planting a few out for the wildlife or on standard rootstocks for a pasture shade tree. Until my kids are all out of school, I don't see myself having time to devote the level of care that apples require - pears, persimmons, pecans & hickories for me!

Lucky