nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Interstem Apples

  • From: Andrew Bell <acbell@iastate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Interstem Apples
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 14:26:04 -0500

At 12:50 PM 9/9/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Derry:

We tried many different combinations of interstems using mostly M9, but
also M27 and Bud 9 as dwarfing stem pieces.
The most uniform and productive trees came from the combination you
mentioned below or M9 on MM106. Trees resulted in a true semi-dwarf or
about 12' tall, had better limb angles and the MM111 was nearly non
suckering. We buried the lower graft union by around 6" with 2" of the M9
portion about soil surface.

Won't the buried interstem send out roots and cause some of the traits of the root section below to be lost? How is this different than keeping the union above the ground for a simply grafted tree?

Thanks for the info!

-- Andrew Bell
acbell@iastate.edu