nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Interstem Apples

  • From: "Ed Fackler" <efackler@woh.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Interstem Apples
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 12:50:01 -0400

Derry:

We tried many different combinations of interstems using mostly M9, but
also M27 and Bud 9 as dwarfing stem pieces.
The most uniform and productive trees came from the combination you
mentioned below or M9 on MM106. Trees resulted in a true semi-dwarf or
about 12' tall, had better limb angles and the MM111 was nearly non
suckering. We buried the lower graft union by around 6" with 2" of the M9
portion about soil surface.
We did not stake the trees. Overall they were the best in all aspects.

Ed, So. Ohio cool fall-like weather.