nafex - Re: [NAFEX] properly hardened off plants

  • From: Dan Sorensen <dan.phantom@westpa.net>
  • To: Mike Levine <crunchy@oldweb.com>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] properly hardened off plants
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 16:44:41 -0400

I was going to suggest you try MSU, since that was growing in East Lansing, but it probably won't make much difference. The original plants there, which I believe are gone now, were planted in a south facing U shape formed by the Botany building there so they were in a well protected area. In fact, there were also two A. chinensis (I think the name has changed since then---the fuzzy kiwi) growing there as well though they weren't nearly as vigorous and probably never fruited.

I haven't seen any significant difference in spring frost resistance among several hundred seedlings and named varieties I've observed over the years. There may be a degree or two of resistance to the Issai variety, possibly because the leaf is hairier and may trap the warmer air if the below freezing temperatures are of short duration, but the production and poor quality of the fruit would dissuade me from bothering with that variety.

Remember too Mike, the younger plants tend to break bud earlier. Once they get older and more massive, they tend to be a bit slower to leaf out and more likely to miss the late frosts. At least that has been my experience. Most of my plants will probably be dormant for another 3 or four weeks.

Don't give up on them because of this unfortunate experience. When you get fruit they are worth it all.

Dan