nafex - Re: [NAFEX] properly hardened off plants

  • From: Dan Sorensen <dan.phantom@westpa.net>
  • To: Mike Levine <crunchy@oldweb.com>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] properly hardened off plants
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 21:18:32 -0400

OK then, if they are exposed to anything below 32 degrees it won't matter if they're hardened off or not. Kiwi foliage, especially new growth, will freeze below that temperature. I've found that that's the major problem for me with hardy kiwi. Virtually every year we get frost two or three times after the buds break and it always means the vines have to start all over again. I haven't seen any secondary buds with blossoms like grapes. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I just haven't seen it yet. Once they get big enough, the upper branches can sometimes protect the foliage underneath so I usually get a small crop, but I find it very frustrating year after year.

Sorry for your loss. I know how it feels.

Dan