nafex - [NAFEX] properly hardened off plants

  • From: Mike Levine <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] properly hardened off plants
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 17:23:18 -0400

How hardy are small kiwi plants?

I recently mail ordered some small hardy kiwis in 2.5 inch pots. When I
received them they seemed very light green like they had been started from
cuttings in a greenhouse. I heard we were going to have a really cold night
so I put the flat of them up against the house and under a large overhang to
give them some protection and hoped for the best. This has worked in the
past for some of my more delicate plants. Today my kiwis don't look so
good. It went down to 24 last night and they look wilted and black. Was
this my mistake?

I used to manage a nursery and now own a small one and it has always my
policy to sell stock that had been hardened off first. I'd be interested in
your opinions. Do you think these plants were properly hardened off?
Should I request a free replacement?

I'm wondering if these casualties are because of my foolishness or the
nursery's lack of care to harden off their stock before selling it. Any
thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike Levine
Ann Arbor, MI
Zone 5b