nafex - [NAFEX] Late leafing kiwi/no excuses

  • From: Mike Levine <mlevine@umich.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Late leafing kiwi/no excuses
  • Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:49:11 -0400

Thanks everyone for their input. I believe I have enough info for a
decision now.
O.K. it's my fault. I ordered them wholesale and I specified the date to
be shipped. I admit I should have known better, but I didn't. I'm
realizing now why I've never had much success with kiwis here. I think I
realize now why this happened. I usually order bare root stock, but all
they had were small potted plants this year. I didn't "switch gears" in
time to realize they would need different care and a later ship date. I
guess I'll order more and learn from my mistakes. Fortunately it was only a
$25 mistake!

However, my next question is: Are there varieties of kiwis that leaf out
later? Or that have more frost resistant foliage. Are there breeding
programs to try to achieve these goals? Also, how's the fruit and vigor of
those vines? I planted MSU thinking it would be adapted somewhat to my
climate. I guess they don't have problems with late frosts over in E.
Lansing like we do here in Ann Arbor :) Late frosts are the norm here.
Comments on your favorites with precocious vines, good flavor, high yield,
or vigor would be appreciated too.

Mike Levine
Ann Arbor, MI
Zone 5b
4 inches of snow on the ground and more freezing rain expected today. Low
23 last night.