msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] What's in your pack

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Irvin Lichtenstein " <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] What's in your pack
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:03:49 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: msar-riders-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:msar-riders-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Barry Wells
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 8:31 PM
To: Mounted search and rescue

I agree with Jeff, Hiking poles come in very handy.  Also, wear boots that

you can walk in.  Nothing worse then trying to walk out wearing cowboy

boots.

Boots are designed for a primary function and cowboy or western riding boots were designed for riding.

Given the western stirrup and the working style of the rider (frequent on and off to work cattle, open gates,

repair fences, etc.) the boot evolved into a pointed toe (easier to get into a stirrup), relatively high heeled

(thick stirrups and mud), loose fitted (has to slide off if you get hung up) boot. It also tends to have a smooth

leather sole so it slips a lot on grass. The western boot was not made for walking.

Certain other equestrian activities have special boot designs. A dressage boot often has a very stiff ankle and lower shaft. Una can describe the special features of a polo boot.  Some people use what is called a packer—a laced up 14 inch high boot with a low heel and sticky soles, often Vibram brand patterns.  I use an English style high boot, low heel, double thick rubber sole, around a 19” pull on, Spanish top, rounded toe.  The leather is a dull finish called Dragoon so I don’t have to polish them or worry about what gets on them in the field.  And you can walk in them, even with fully lined construction. Lastly, most manufacturers make them with narrow, medium, and wide shafts to accommodate heavy socks (or big people in thin socks)they are waterproof, snake resistant, and look good.  Only problem is can’t wear them onto an commercial airplane.

Like everything in MSAR you have to find what works for you in your usual environment.