msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Volunteer match referral -- CA units

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Volunteer match referral -- CA units
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:17:09 -0700

Irvin Lichtenstein wrote:
>We have received a referral for a volunteer from Volunteer Match.
>Name: Sungwook Choi
>e-mail: swchoi0401@hotmail
>zip: 97401
>
>The zip code places him somewhere in CA and I think this may be a little far
>for him to respond on our calls in SE PA.

According to http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/citytown_zip.jsp, zip code
97401 is Eugene, Oregon.

(The "you" in what follows is the generic you, not anyone specific.)

One of the things VolunteerMatch is good for is to recruit what
VolunteerMatch calls "virtual volunteers". They can be people you
never meet in person, who do volunteer work for you online. Maybe
they can keep your calendar up to date or do marketing for you.
Maybe they can give your website a makeover. Or create a website
for you. Anything that can be done online. Maybe help run your
team e-mail list? Perhaps they could handle your team dispatching
by telephone. Perhaps they could manage your VolunteerMatch site
so that it becomes a real asset for your team.

You would have to consider carefully how far you are willing to
trust someone not known to you in person. In that vein, consider
how you feel about other individuals here on MSAR-Riders.