msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Standards
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:29:57 -0800 (PST)

Responding to:

Message: 14
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 08:42:00 -0500
From: "Hill, Victoria L." <Victoria.L.Hill@saint-gobain.com>
To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>

My goodness you people are vicious.......I have learned a great deal of
things on here...but this is not how to act.  Attacking folks for
voicing their opinion on what they believe is right for the good of
their group in their respective area is nonproductive, people who talk
down by throwing their "I have this, I have that, blah blah blah" is
very condescending.  While I would like to continue to learn and grow my
group with the knowledge that is abundant here I am afraid you have
reached new heights of childish behaviors.  You should hear
yourselves!!!!  It's down right embarrassing.  I realize you can only
"voice" your experiences from your respective states that you reside in
but we all don't live in New Mexico or Pennsylvania.  What is right for
you may not be correct or right for us and unless you are intimately
familiar with each state's requirements for whatever task is being
performed how can you say what is right or wrong!

Good luck in all your endeavors to become better responders for the
common good. After all, that IS what we are all striving for isn't it?

Victoria, I have been on this list for years and have seen conversations go from the condenscending to a crescendo.  Without both veiws of an issue you cannot solve any issues.  It helps us all to understand why things are certain ways in some areas and even though we may never venture out to a certain area, any knowledge is better than none whether it be positive or negative.  And even though I might not apply an out of area method in my general local, if someone were to ask and if I could give them a respectible answer on an out of territory thing would not that be helping someone? No one here is attacking anyone.  They are attacking issues.  The behavior is far from childish. Sometimes you have to go under the hill to get to its peak.  The guy who tells it like it is is more productive than the guy who candycoats it.

I am what Una calls a spontaneous volunteer.  I personally try to contribute to the BEST of my limited knowledge in areas I can respond or react to to try to help the group as a whole and likewise the group helps me.  Whether I have done that, I seem to get very little arguement.  Not that I want an arguement, I just to know issues,  so whether my not getting any arguement means I did a good job, I hope it does.  Since I have been here, I have learned much from those more credited and from their experiences and I hope they have garnered a perspective from this side.  Sometimes you know too youve done a good job when the other party sayspoint blank, screw you.  We all have points of expertize be they papered or not.

While I am not be paper "credited" by certification as others, does that mean I know less?  Or vice versa?  Sometimes I know more and viceversa.  In either case when we all work as a team, we grow.  And yep, that is what we are striving for.

You have to think outside the box to expand your knowledge.. So, by learning what is "right" in New Mexico or different in Pa or where ever, it only can serve to broaden your own horizon.  To chaulk that out of area information up as useless is a pity.

I dont think any of us are acting.  I beleive those here and those speaking up or out are true problem solvers.

I am proud to say from my stand point how well this group has grown .  We as a group are not infantile any longer.  And just because one sector of the group can say they have this and the other can say that they have that, just goes to show also the difference in area support and revenue.  When you put the two groups in a search, you both then have what you did not have before.  Nothing childish or vicious about it.
My first mounted search had 8 horses.  4 were volunteer fire, the rest were spontaneous.  We did the best with what we had.  One member rode bareback, no equipment, but she was a pair of eyes that we would not have had otherwise.  Some had equipment, better horses, better skills.  The irony when I look back if you were to compare "professionalism"
The  spontaneous volunteers that day really had it going!  They came from far and that fact alone proved to me how much they all cared and really were capable and in some respects, more so than the pros.. As for the local fire guys, it was just another day at the office to them. And I am not saying that to be mean spirited, but there was a seperation of attitudes and opinions.  We need both.

I have remain spontaneous because from what I see and learn here, I have a little bit more freedom to hop territories and speak my mind and have greater knowlegde of more things. But I fully respect those that are glued to and papered, or starred in theirs!

People like Irv and Una who have pulled this site together through the years you  folks have it going on!   Thank you and Keep up the great work.
        Karen