msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Presentation

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Presentation
  • Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 06:24:59 -0500

Good points Una-

Speaking of Details; be fully prepared when meeting with public safety officials.  Nowadays a good MSAR team manager will have  proper documentation available that will reflect their team's level of professionalism (you would be surprised how much information can be stored on a thumb-drive).  Every team should  maintain detailed after action reports of deployment, and other public safety related events (as well as training records).   Nothing will damage or destroy an MSAR Team's credibility when war [SAR] stories are used to cite how good their SAR team is and what their team can, could or would do.  This is especially true when the [SAR] stories are of another team's deployment ability and not based on historical facts or protocol of their own.   New MSAR Teams may want to consider selecting an experienced mentor team to help them get a proper start.

When a public safety official asks: Can your team do XYZ; and you reply "yes" here is a copy our team's after action report to serve as documentation that reflects our KSA's of XYZ, which adds a whole new level of professionalism.  I can forward a copy of a TROTSAR After Action Report (AAR) to the MSAR-Riders share-drive for all to view (if you like it, simply take our team name off and replace it with your own).

T'mi
TROTSAR Mounted Team Inc.
Serving in FEMA Region III

Una Smith wrote:
I hope this thread is conveying the key point:  the devil is in the details
of Who is your audience?  What do they want from you?  What do they have to
offer you?  If the agencies that call you for searches have no interest in
nor ability to support your training, then a presentation to them about "the
great things you could do if only someone would teach you how" is at best
wasted effort.

Consider approaching from another direction.  Review the past X years of
SAR missions.  This may involve interviewing area SAR managers, which is a
useful exercise in its own right.  Present how you (meaning any and all
local MSAR resources), using your actual current capabilities, could have
contributed to those missions.  What specific tasks might MSAR have done?