msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Presentation

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Presentation
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 21:23:13 -0700

Una Smith, New Mexico wrote
Target the presentation to MSAR resources! Give it to MSAR resources,
not to SAR management. Include in the presentation some form of skill
development, so you not only inspire MSAR folks to lofty goals but also
help them take a step toward those goals.

From: <pennbo@verizon.net>
I can only speak for our county SAR managers. They are smart enough that if I hand them a presentation and say "Here is an idea of some of the things that MSAR can do. We would love to discuss with you which teams have which capabilities and to dialogue with the department about which skills you would like to see us acquire." Our county has a well-run SAR system that includes motivated, intelligent folks from the top to the bottom. They are certainly open minded about seeing the possibilities without unfairly critiquing existing teams! I have faith in them.
Chris Pennington

I agree that building a good "team" includes building good relations with SAR Management, and including them in decisions that can impact available resource capabilities for local searches.

In my experience teaching across the country, SAR management is willing to listen ... if approached correctly. Storming up to management and snarling about not being called on the last search obviously doesn't score any points and tends to erect barriers. ;-/ Communicating like one professional to another tends to build bridges and respect.
Communication between resources and management is also critical for management to make effective use of those resources. The local MSAR might be trained in A, B, C, D, and E, but poor communication and limited support / understanding from SAR management might result in the team only activated for A and B.

An important issue is MSAR also needing to develop their own knowledge regarding their own resource's capabilities and potentials, having documented training, etc., in order to appear professional to management. But every MSAR class I teach is also geared to educate management. Reality is a large percentage of SAR management doesn't understand what MSAR is capable of doing, or even where a good rider and mount can ride. If there is no real understanding by management regarding even the fundamentals, there is also no management expectation or support for MSAR to build additional capabilities.

When I teach clinics I strongly encourage MSAR to include management. At the end of the clinic I suggest they sit down *together*, make a list of what MSAR is currently capable of performing, then put together a Wish List of what else MSAR might do. Prioritize the Wish List based on management input, existing skill levels, local needs, etc. Move forward with new training based on that prioritized list.

I believe that SAR management *must* be a part of the "what [else] can MSAR do" education and planning, etc. Later remember to invite management to any outside training, but at minimum schedule a time to demonstrate new skills. If management doesn't trust those skills, the odds of being called upon to use those skills are greatly reduced.

~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
SAR & CERT
Mounted SAR