msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Presentation

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Presentation
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:45:52 -0600

Chris Pennington:
>[...] I hand them a presentation and say "Here is an idea of some
>of the things that MSAR can do. We would love to discuss with you
>which teams have which capabilities and to dialogue with the
>department about which skills you would like to see us acquire."

All, that's the ideal, and a good example of what I mean. In Chris's
case, there are existing MSAR resources with prior experience and known
capabilities, operating within an established, high usage SAR system.

Chris, several of the people here on MSAR-Riders who are in need of a
presentation about what MSAR can do are trying to establish new teams.
They have no established organization and some also lack any form of
SAR system. I know where you are in California SAR has good vertical
integration but I think you are in a small minority. In much (most?)
of the US nothing like it exists. In some parts of the US, there are
multiple MSAR teams but callouts are infrequent and there is no SAR
infrastructure to provide training, particularly not field training,
between callouts. Teams in those situations need to be careful about
not overselling themselves.

In your case, Chris, would you even need a formal presentation about
what MSAR might do? Or could you just ask one or two managers "Hey,
we'd like to add some new skills this year. Which do you think would
be more useful, packing a stokes litter, or searching at night?"