msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Presentation

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Presentation
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 02:37:30 -0700

From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>
[...]
Rarely do we give a subject a horseback ride; most subjects who cannot
walk out also are not fit to ride out.

Actually, there are a fair amount of injuries that are suitable for evacuating someone in the saddle. But appropriate training is needed to perform the related medical assessment, there are proven methods riders should know for assisting that person into / out of the saddle, etc.

[...]
Again, start from the key questions:

What task assignments in my area are most common and/or hardest to fill?
What task assignments in my area are most suitable for MSAR resources?
Can I now (or could I, after training) do any of those task assignments?

I suggest folks also consider the non-rider response options when communicating with management. Make sure they consider you as trained SAR, not just Mounted SAR. For example, if the terrain, weather, level of current training, (or whatever) isn't suitable to respond mounted, let management know your team is also available to respond with trucks, and even empty trailers, as needed for Logistics. Another example is to show up as ground searchers in certain search environments, weather, etc., where being mounted isn't an advantage.

Also mention the options of partnering with other types of resources successfully, and make a point of training with those other resources.

SAR / Mounted SAR is also a viable disaster resource, but often incident management doesn't have that resource on their radar until someone mentions it to them and provides examples of application.

~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
SAR & CERT
Mounted SAR