msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR Presentation

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR Presentation
  • Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2008 08:25:56 -0600

Jorene Downs wrote:
>Actually, there are a fair amount of injuries that are suitable for
>evacuating someone in the saddle.

To reiterate the point of my post quoted here, that is the pattern
here in New Mexico. In particular, severe dehydration is so common
that some of our more rescue-oriented teams train and are equipped
to give IV fluids in the field. Also common are internal abdominal
injuries. In neither case is it appropriate to put the subject on
horseback. There was a subject a few years back, a rider, with an
abdominal injury (IIRC ruptured kidney) who was so deep into the
backcountry, in such difficult terrain and foul weather, that putting
him on horseback for the fastest possible extraction seemed to be
the only alternative to death. But by great good fortune a military
helicopter was able to hoist him out.

If we had a lot of "tired" or "sprained ankle" subjects, we would
be putting them on horseback on a routine basis. But we don't see
many of those cases except on certain popular trails near cities.