msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Disaster cross-training / Educating SAR @ MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Disaster cross-training / Educating SAR @ MSAR
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 19:14:45 -0500

Cross Training with CERT for SAR or MSAR is valuable. I took the CERT training a year ago and the NIMS training also. The local CERT training also provided the necessary equipment that Irv mentioned. We all received a back pack with small adjustable wrenches, goggles, dust mask, flash light, duct tape, gloves, cutters, ect..

The point is, whether you are a ground pounder or mounted, one must be aware of the manmade environment and how to deal with the disasters. A MSAR is first and foremost a SAR then a MSAR and must be able to exist for 48 hours or better on our own. The first thing the CERT training stated was that help may not be available for 48 hours. It is your responsibility to have assets available for yourself, family and the victims.

Over the last several years we saw how well FEMA and EMC worked in the gulf coast. It wasn't until Katrina hit LA that we saw how a defunct and missed managed LOCAL EMC worked. To say that the federal government failed was wrong, the first line of defense is at the local level. Thus, crossing training is valuable since you will be the first line of defense. I guess I'm beginning to stray; you cans see were my politics are ........sorry

Chuck