msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Please

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Please
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:24:01 -0500

Thanks Tim,
Your observations on Msar vs. ground pounders was excellant. We have not thought of this but will try to do this next summer, if it ever gets here.

Over the last three years we have had joint K-9 and MSAR training and the sum of it is that neither pays much attention to each other. That is saying something since the horse is a prey animal. Also, the sent of horses did not. deter the dogs from their mission. Working with the K-9 units also provided us with different persectives on manageing a search since the dogs were allowed to free rove. I firmlly believe that we should align MSAR with K-9 units.

Chuck
VP Kokosing Valley Mounted Search And Rescue
Knox County Ohio

We also have a introduction to equines for K-9 class, where within 30 to
45 minutes we have the dogs working off lead and on task without being
concerned about the MSAR horses being present. In addition to MSAR
classes we host communications classes ( thankfully we have a top notch
communications officer). We have also conduct preservation of evidence
classes and always have teams present at local tri-State SAREX events.
We found that education was the best tool for increased call outs.

Best of luck with your team.

Tomi`
TROT-SAR Mounted Team
State of Maryland

LAURI STRUVE wrote:

How do you educate the agencies that utilize your team that the horses are a valuable tool? when we are called out it is always for ground and k9.
Lauri