msar-riders - [MSAR] Disaster cross-training / Educating SAR @ MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Disaster cross-training / Educating SAR @ MSAR
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:09:38 -0800

For those not already aware, a new specialty is emerging in the SAR community: Disaster SAR. At the foundation of this new type of SAR is CERT (or equivalent) cross-training. CERT is the basic level of USAR. SAR is commonly capable of arriving self-sufficient for 24-72 hours, and consider the value of that during a local disaster. SAR is also well qualified to perform search and rescue ... but commonly lacks the training for the more urban environment.

Why should MSAR be interested in cross-training for basic disaster response? This cross-training makes SAR far more versatile even for normal missing person SAR because Wilderness SAR learns how to perform in the more populated areas, too. And yes, MSAR is a viable resource during a disaster ... with even more potential if you're cross-trained.

Learn about Disaster SAR-related discussion on:
www.tk-cert.org/natlsar/

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar
Tulare-Kings CERT
www.tk-cert.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tm' Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
Another program that both Jorene's team and my team have in common is
introducing our members to the CERT Program. Cross training in programs
such as CERT and the expanding capabilities of an MSAR team is an
excellent way to gain respect as a professional organization.

I suggest that MSAR folks to visit the link Jorene provided
<www.tk-cert.org>. More CERT information can be found at
<http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/CERT/> and if there is not CERT
coordinator/program in your region, an online web based study program
for introductory CERT (IS-317) can be taken by going to
<http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is317.asp>

Tomi`
TROT-SAR
Maryland