msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Please

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Tm' Fi <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: lauris10@earthlink.net, Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Please
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 19:51:07 -0500

One thing that our MSAR team did to foster a better working relationships with AHJ's and search managers was to increase our type and focus of training programs and then open those programs to other search teams and agencies. We conduct MSAR 101 courses and have students walk down a trail looking for clues (general this produces a 20 to 30% POD find). Then we place the non-MSAR search personnel on horseback and using a lead line we walk the horse and rider down that same trail, which results in a 70 to 90% POD find). The key to this course is clue placement and the degree vision of angle. The course also takes away many of the fears that folks have of horses. We show folks what kind of SAR gear we carry and how we are prepared for a 72 hour self contained MSAR camp deployment (SAR folks love seeing our toys). Having proper search gear and electronic equipment is a big part of any team's image. We also have a complete set of Incident/Search paperwork so Search Managers know where to come for extra supplies.

We also have a introduction to equines for K-9 class, where within 30 to 45 minutes we have the dogs working off lead and on task without being concerned about the MSAR horses being present. In addition to MSAR classes we host communications classes ( thankfully we have a top notch communications officer). We have also conduct preservation of evidence classes and always have teams present at local tri-State SAREX events. We found that education was the best tool for increased call outs.

Best of luck with your team.

Tomi` TROT-SAR Mounted Team
State of Maryland

LAURI STRUVE wrote:

How do you educate the agencies that utilize your team that the horses are a
valuable tool? when we are called out it is always for ground and k9.
Lauri