msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Disaster cross-training / Educating SAR @ MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Disaster cross-training / Educating SAR @ MSAR
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:17:18 -0800

From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
Cross Training with CERT for SAR or MSAR is valuable. [...] A MSAR is
first and foremost a SAR then a MSAR and must be able to exist for 48 hours
or better on our own. The first thing the CERT training stated was that
help may not be available for 48 hours. It is your responsibility to have
assets available for yourself, family and the victims.

Disaster preparedness is normally taught as a 72 hour expectation for self-sufficiency until outside assistance arrives. Since Katrina I hear the feds are seriously considering increasing to an expectation of 96 hours of self-sufficiency.

[...] the first line of defense is at the local level. Thus, crossing
training is valuable since you will be the first line of defense. I guess
I'm beginning to stray; you cans see were my politics are ........sorry

Disaster preparedness isn't a matter of politics, it is a matter of taking responsibility for personal preparedness as opposed to dependency / expecting others to help you. You're very correct that preparedness begins at home. And *anyone* somehow in the local system for emergency response has potential to be on the call-out list for a widespread disaster ... so SAR / MSAR has the choice of either cross-training to at least have basic disaster skills, or being called and not having that cross-training.

MSAR has a variety of options to contribute during disaster while mounted, obviously skills while on the ground are useful, and even the hauling vehicles and trailers have potential for use. Incident-specific.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar
Tulare-Kings CERT
www.tk-cert.org

Learn about Disaster SAR-related discussion on:
www.tk-cert.org/natlsar/