msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Please

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: <lauris10@earthlink.net>, "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Please
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:49:48 -0500

It is often a combination of things. The OIC may hate horses or it is just
that he has had success with dogs and ground pounders. Any time you are
trying to introduce a new skill set into the mix you must educate the other
responders about what you do and how you do it. Then you have to demonstrate
that you are good at what you do, respond when called, and play nice with
others. Once you start being useful on missions it will grow.

If you have a monthly newsletter or regular training notices and debriefs
you can send that to the other agencies. Being organized and professional
looking are critical. I don't mean uniforms or matched mounts, what you need
is a professional attitude. We can do this, and we can do it better than
anyone else in our niche. In some cases just showing up when called is an
improvement over the other resources. Read the papers in the archives for
discussion points if they can be applied to your organization.