msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] (MSAR) Stallions

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Paul Fleming" <pfleming@nwlink.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] (MSAR) Stallions
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:37:38 -0800

Our unit also will not allow stallions. The majority of our unit is not highly experienced horsemen or trainers. Mostly we are competent riders with a steady horse.

The arguments on both sides of the stud issue have merit.  We feel having a stallion around is not something we want to deal with. Our prime focus must be on the mission. Horse problems are a distraction. Putting a stallion in the mix increases the possibility of "horse problems".

Our unit also specifies certain equipment unit members must have for standardization purposes. (Example All GPS units, FRS radios, Small Flashlights, Headband lights must use AA size batteries). We do this as a way of eliminating equipment being unoperational because someone forgot to by special size batteries after the last mission.

We specify a lot of things in our unit 'NO Stallions" equals "The potential for that kind of trouble being simply eliminated."  We are very specific about things because we know by doing so we can increase unit efficiency in selected areas.

Each unit and personnel make up are different. What works well in one unit is not always the answer for the next. I do know one thing though, making exceptions for one member to an existing unit policy is asking for trouble.

This has been a most interesting discussion and probably another subject we will never come to agreement on, but it sure keeps this forum alive and interesting

Regards to all

Paul Fleming
PMSAR