msar-riders - [MSAR] (MSAR) Stallions

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "wwfarm" <wwfarm@wiktel.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] (MSAR) Stallions
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 05:41:45 -0800

Many stallions while being ridden under saddle can be very well mannered. (The key words here are many, not all, while being ridden and can be .) I have shown stallions at horse shows. At times at breed shows it is necessary for a stallion to be shown in order to gain points for promotional reasons. For the most part at large shows it is a controlled situation so problems with stallions are a rarity.  But if you believe for one second that there will never come a time when you are out of the saddle and nature doesn't try to take its course let me tell you the odds are against you. I have a spot on the back side of my left arm that is scarred and has no feelings because I was on the ground and got between a stallion, a gelding and a mare that was in heat. (All three were saddled.)
Especially in MSAR many times it is not a totally controlled situation. There will come a time when horses need to be ponied around a area while dismounted riders search a area on foot , a group of MSAR horses will need to be hastily tied while a emergency is at hand or at the end of a long day some weary MSAR will need to be met miles from base camp and given  a ride back to base camp in a stock trailer.  We all know in cases like this odds are a mare will be in heat and if their is a stallion around nature will try to take its course even with the best well mannered Stallion.

Speaking from experience, if you want to play the odds leave the stallion at home and go to Vegas instead.

TER