msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] SAR conference planning tips for MSAR folks?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: billie patrick <just4bp@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] SAR conference planning tips for MSAR folks?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:40:55 -0800 (PST)

Una:

I put on numerous trainings per year.  I have one that horses are not allowed for anyone.  The reason for this is so that the skills get good on the ground before we add the variable of the horse.

Other trainings include horses.  I limit the number of participants and make sure that there are individual facilities for each horse. That way you don't have to deal with your horse kicked mine etc.  I have liability insurance for each training.  THis covers alot of different things.

When the announcement goes out for the different courses I make sure that it is clear if horses are welcome or not.

Hope this helps

Billie Patrick
Mounted Patrol Supervisor
yosemite national park, CA

Una Smith <una@lanl.gov> wrote:
I have mentioned before some problems faced by MSAR volunteers
who want to participate *with their horses* in SAR conferences.
Well, can anyone here offer good ways to find some solutions?

Conference organizers have told me of visiting likely venues
where some horses are kept already, but when they ask about
accomodating SAR horses there during the conference, they are
told flat out "no". I was not present on these visits, so I
don't know how the organizers put this question to the venue
managers or what assumptions were made by either party. What
works? What doesn't work? What points are the deal-killers?
Liability insurance, concern about contagious equine diseases,
hassle, mess, something else?

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico